This process has been created to formalize the communication within the broader CTS/WBD team when database schema, field, or usage changes are made.
- Application Developers
- Reporting Team
Team communication process to prevent the introduction of errors in production reports resulting from database changes.
- When a developer makes a change to the database schema, database fields, or how the database is used, they must inform Victor. These changes include, but are not limited to, changes to a database field and changes to the way an application form records in the database to a new table.
Victor will then do the following:
Create a FogBugz case with the following naming convention
- DB CHANGE: [Database Table Name], [DATABASE FIELD NAMES]
- Place the cases in the "In Progress" field on the Kanban board
- Give the case a Kanban color of RED
- Assign the case to Brock and notify DB
- Create a FogBugz case with the following naming convention
Brock will then do the following:
- Ensure that the on-shore development team (Jonathan / Mark) review the case. Each developer will comment on the case indicating that they have review it for broader system impact.
- Ensure that each report developer review the database change. Each developer will comment on the case indicating that they have reviewed the change for impact on current reports.
- Brock will comment on the case as well confirming his review.
- If the database change impacts a report or process, the developer responsible for that report or process will open a case to address the problem. The new case will be a child of the DB Field Change Case.
- Once all relevant parties have reviewed the case, Brock will close the case in FogBugz and notify Victor that the review is complete.